//Google Analytics

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

{Wedding Wednesday} Getting started on wedding planning


Hey everyone!

Welcome to my very first post on my very first series, Wedding Wednesdays!

Today I'm going to get the ball rolling by discussing my tips for beginning to plan your wedding.

(Photo credit goes to my lovely friend Nichole!)

So he finally did it...he got down on one knee and popped the question! You knew it was coming but nothing can stop those tears. You can't stop smiling or looking at that rock. You start to tell all of your family and friends and are greeted with squeals, congratulations, and then the questions begin...

"When's the big day?"

"Where will the wedding be?"

"Can I be one of your bridesmaids?"

"What will your colors be?"

"Ball gown or mermaid?"

"Are you going to have a band or a DJ?"

"Is Great Uncle Oscar going to officiate the wedding?"


Uh oh.


"Well, we haven't thought that far ahead yet. He literally just asked!"

But noo, that's not good enough for Aunt Sally! You'd better make a plan...and quick!

So, where do you begin???


Register with TheKnot.com

Seriously. Do it right now. Even if you're not engaged yet. TheKnot has a mind blowing number of resources, blogs, articles, tips, tricks, lists and so much more. And no they're not paying me to say this! They're just seriously so awesome for the newly engaged! And once you get married you can keep your account and move over to TheNest.com! By the way, I just signed in to my account and TheKnot is telling me that it is 526 days since my wedding! They're always there with more information than you can imagine! It's a fantastic resource. Use it!


Research

Do as much research as you can. Buy books and magazines, enlist the help of friends and family who've been there, and remember, Google is your friend. Personally I found a couple of great books that helped me SO much. They gave me a place to begin and a to-do list to focus on. Check bargain bins and Craigslist for used wedding books for cheap! That's how I got mine!

A few of my favorites were:

1001 Ways To Save Money . . . and Still Have a Dazzling Wedding - Perfect for anyone on a budget! There are so many great ideas to try throughout your wedding planning experience!

How to Plan an Elegant Wedding in 6 Months or Less: Achieving Your Dream Wedding When Time Is of the Essence - Don't let the title turn you away. Whether you've got 6 months or 2 years to plan, this book is great!

The Everything Green Wedding Book: Plan an elegant, affordable, earth-friendly wedding (Everything (Weddings)) - This one is fantastic for anyone who wants to be eco-friendly throughout their wedding. It's got tons of great tips for how to "green" your wedding from the dress to the favors!


Go Ahead...Pin Away

Use Pinterest to your advantage! Just don't pin 300 dresses all at once. Pick ones you'd actually like to try on and write what you like/don't like in the caption. Pinterest can be great but also overwhelming! I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had Pinterest when I started planning my wedding! Use it wisely, don't just pin till all your single friends unfollow you. Be realistic and pin things that show what you'd actually like your wedding to be like.


Be Excited and Spread the News!

This is some of the most exciting news you'll ever get to share! Announce it to family and friends first, social media LAST. I think it's so much better to hear the excitement and congratulations in person rather than through a bunch of "likes." Plus, it's just that much more personal. Your friends and especially your family will appreciate hearing it from you. An engagement party is a fun way to formally announce it too!


Pick a Date

But remember, things can (and will) change on you. So maybe pick a couple of alternate dates in case your dream venue is booked or your in-laws are going to be on a tropical vacation. Brian and I originally wanted a fall wedding (we wanted November 12, 2011 so it would be 11/12/11) but circumstances changed and we got married on March 24, 2012 instead. It got pushed back a few months but it was still an amazing day. I was resistant to change it at first because I had my heart set on November 12, 2011. If I had been more open to different dates it wouldn't have been such a hard thing to deal with.



If you start here you'll be set to go. There is so much involved in planning a wedding! I hope over the next few weeks/months I can help you get through it smoothly!

And hey...congratulations!



How did you begin planning your own wedding? Books, magazines, blogs, Pinterest?

Be sure to check back next Wednesday for another Wedding Wednesday!

Till next time,
Catherine

If you're a fellow blogger and are interested in guest posting for this series, shoot me an e-mail at CatherinePageWood@gmail.com! Or, even if you're not a blogger and would like to share your wedding story or advice, send me an e-mail! I would LOVE to share your stories!

If you liked this post, be sure to check out the other editions of Wedding Wednesday!









Blog Hop Blitz


I've linked up to Blog Hop Blitz Week #4 with Gladiator In Heels, Easy Life Meal and Party Planning Services, and Losing my Gut While Gaining My Insanity!


17 comments:

  1. Congrats to you. The ring is gorgeous. how fun to plan away your wedding. There are many ideas out there. I created a candy bar for my cousin's daughter last year. It was called Love is Sweet! You can go to my blog to see it.
    http://www.lifeandlinda.com/2012/04/love-is-sweet.html
    I also planned the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I've actually been married now about a year and a half. Just now getting around to posting a wedding series like I've wanted to, though! Your cousin's daughter's wedding was beautiful! Love the colors, I had a green/orange theme as well! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Here is a great website that I used for my wedding! Great for ideas for how to decorate yourself, do your own invites, etc... http://www.diywedding.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that site! It looks awesome! Wish I had found it a couple years ago!

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! It is good to spend more hours for your wedding. Plan your wedding slowly and steadily. The well planned wedding will make easy for the wedding planning people. Djs in South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Definitely...wedding planning is an intense process!

      Delete
  4. Great advice! I got married last year and at that time, I was not interested in Pinterest. And that's probably a good thing. Thanks for linking up with us at the Blog Hop Blitz, hope to see you back this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And congrats! I feel like Pinterest CAN be a good resource but man it can be overwhelming and crazy if you're not careful! I'm kind of glad I didn't have it either! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  5. It's so a lot of excited regarding the marriage one amongst my friend however very little tense regarding the marriage favors. awing post! it's sensible to pay additional hours for your wedding. arrange your wedding slowly and steady. The purposeful Wedding can build straightforward for the marriage coming up with folks. wonderful wedding extremely. the photographs square measure telling the story regarding the sweetness of your reception. There square measure many aspects of any marriage deciding its success and wedding stationary plays a really vital role in this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. plan for wedding was so difficult , we want to get wedding vendors from all location ,, But wedding planning is easy you can get wedding vendors in your mobile, free wedding planner app

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips...all helpful except the Pinterest. with so many ideas, must bride really get confused...and frustrated because they can't have what they pin

    Unique Wedding Favour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there are several aspects of wedding and making it perfect. Wedding invitation card is one the important aspect of making any marriage special.

    wedding flowers

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had our wedding here and couldn’t have asked for anything more than what we got with the chef and staff. The coordinator did a wonderful job. Every little detail they took care of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the more than to the bride and groom, nevertheless, a good Engaged Bloggers estimate is likely to have an effect on their particular quickly loved ones as well as nearest friends. These kinds of stands out as the people forever stretching out best wishes, requesting to see the diamond ring as well as attempting to find out comprehensive reports in the estimate as much periods because couple of are likely to pass on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the other hand,Engaged Bloggers the primary position will be the nearly all intimate previously. This is the location connected with Venice, Italia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like reading through and subsequent your submit as i locate them really educational and exciting. This kind of submit is usually every bit as educational and also exciting. Thanks pertaining to information anyone recently been putting on doing your site such an exciting.Wedding Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. For upcoming wedding couples captured in the middle of these two opposite views,Engaged Bloggers may therefore be difficult to determine which aspect is appropriate. The response is both. The fact is, there seems to be no right or incorrect age to get engaged; however, both ideologies existing strong factors as aspect of their discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!