//Google Analytics

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My first 5k - Rachael's Paws and Purrs



I did it! I did my very first 5k! 

Ok I definitely didn't run the whole thing, most people didn't...but I completed a 5k! 




Pre-race smile in the chilly morning. Still felt fairly confident at this point!


And we're off! Runners first, run/walker combos in the middle (that was us) and walkers in the back.

Speaking of walkers...who's excited for The Walking Dead to come back on in October?! This girl!


The course was on the Blackwater Creek Trail in downtown Lynchburg. It was a beautiful day with no humidity and cool temperatures on this gorgeous trail hiding just next to the busy downtown life.


"Quick, act like you're running hardcore!" 


The bridge over the water was so pretty! Here's another "action" shot. That's my husband and a friend of mine in the picture. 

We ran a handful of times but none of us were fully prepared to run the entire thing. We power walked the rest of the time. Most importantly we had a great time! It was so much fun and all the pups that came had a great time too. 


Most of the finishers waiting for the last walkers.


Giving out trophies and medals to human winners and dog winners! Not to mention they had great prizes for the raffle portion!


Here's us as we were leaving. I'd like to title this photo "We finished!" but I think "Look at this mondo bag of fruit we got!" fits better. They had tons of food leftover and just told us to take it...so we did! We've got enough bananas and apples to last a couple weeks! Runner up title: "Oh joy the sun is right in my eyes."


And I'll call this one "We did it! Now let's celebrate with some Chic-Fil-A."


Up next...the Ashland Berry Farm Pumpkin Run that benefits the Hanover Safe Place! Saturday, October 5th in Hanover, Virginia. Come join me!! 

I'm thinking to keep myself motivated and to have a new goal always ready, that signing up for one 5k a month might be a good idea. Or insane? I haven't decided yet. 

We're deciding on our November 5k now. It's between the Glowstick 5k on Sunday, November 3rd in Fredericksburg, Bottom to Tap 5k on Saturday, November 9th in Richmond or the Children of Our Hearts 5k on Saturday, November 9th in Lynchburg. 

I couldn't find any nearby 5ks for December, though. Too cold?

Tell me about your first 5k! If you've never done one, what's holding you back? If I can do it, so can you! Know of any good Richmond/central Virginia 5ks? What's the most fun 5k to do?

Till next time,
Catherine

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 5k! The first one is such an amazing accomplishment! Well, they all are. But the first one is extra special.

    My first 5k was on a treadmill. I pushed myself a little too hard, but I completed it and it felt amazing. I just signed up for my first real 5k for the last weekend in October. I am super pumped to actually run a real one. But it means I need to get my butt in gear and start training again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Before doing this 5k I hadn't even thought about doing it on a treadmill and timing myself. From now on I want to try and do the entire 3.1 miles when I do cardio and strive to beat my previous time. Good luck on your 5k in October! You'll do great!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing your first 5k! Aren't we lucky to have such a great place to run and walk?

    My husband happened to be walking Sherman on the trail and ran into the race. Sherman was so excited to see the other dogs and to run with them. Next year we will be sure to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was soo nice...I loved it! Lynchburg is definitely not short on good trails and parks. Aww! I faintly remember seeing a man with a dog that looks like him chatting with one of the racers but didn't think anything of it at the time...that's so funny! Definitely next year...it was a lot of fun! I would have brought my dogs if they weren't so old and didn't tire so easily!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!