//Google Analytics

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cook: Breakfast Pockets


Are you tired of a bowl of cold cereal in the morning or wish you could just grab something nutritious and delicious on your way out the door? 

This awesome recipe will guarantee you and your family can eat a quick, wholesome breakfast even when you're running late!

A friend of mine told me about this easy pizza dough recipe and said she likes to use it to make these yummy breakfast pockets. I knew I wanted to try it right away. I wrote down the recipe and held onto it until the next time I went to the grocery store. I have made them a few times since and they're great! They also go wonderfully with homemade ketchup, if you're one that likes ketchup with your eggs! 

This recipe makes about a dozen fist-sized breakfast pockets. I like to wrap them up and freeze them and just pull them out as I need them. I think the next time I will freeze them on a tray, then put them in the same gallon bag(s) so that I don't have to waste aluminum foil. But if you do use aluminum foil, it makes it easier to pop it back into the toaster oven. 

Pizza Dough Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cups of warm water
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1 Tbs or 1 packet of active dry yeast
  • 6 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp salt
Filling ingredients: 
  • About 2 dozen eggs (a few more or less won't hurt)
  • 20 small (preferably turkey) sausage links (see picture for reference)
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Salt
  • Pepper
The best part about the filling is that you can make it however YOU want to make it! My husband and I like scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage. You can add ham, onions, peppers, whatever you think would taste best! 

Pizza Dough Directions:

1. Mix your warm water, yeast, and sugar together and let it proof for about 10 minutes.

2. Next, add in your first cup of flour, then your oil and salt, mix together.

3. Continue to slowly add flour and mix in until you've got a dough you can knead.

4. Knead the dough and add in flour as necessary until it's not sticky anymore.

5. Let the dough "rest" for about 10-15 minutes on the counter.

While it's resting, work on your filling.


Let the dough rest for about 10-15 minutes.

Filling directions:


Don't even bother with a skillet! Get your stockpot out for this one. Scramble all your eggs as you normally would, tossing in salt and pepper and later, the cheese. 


While the eggs are cooking (it may take some time), cut the sausage into small pieces. You can heat them in the microwave or just toss them in when the eggs are almost done. Don't worry if they're not heated through, they'll be in the oven to bake, plus heated again when you decide to eat a pocket.


I know, I know...I said I wasn't going to buy stuff like this anymore. I caved...sorry guys. Next time I will try and find some kind of locally raised sausage, whether it's chicken, pork, or turkey. 

UPDATE: I made breakfast sausage from Auburnlea Farm's pastured ground pork for the next time I made these. That is the best breakfast sausage ever!! I'm never buying the crap from the box again! 


Mmm...scrambled eggs with cheese are the best!


Now time to mix in the sausage. 


Drooling now! (Go ahead and preheat your oven to 450!)


Now it's time to roll out your dough! Pull off small pieces that are maybe a handful.


Roll them out as thin as you can.


It doesn't need to be a perfect circle or anything. 


Place about a spoon full of filling onto the dough. You won't need as much as you think!


Now pull the sides together and pinch the dough.


Trim off the extra dough so when you bite into it, you don't get a mouthful of just bread!


You can also try to pinch it like this and trim the edges. I know, I didn't make them very "cute" but hey, they're delicious!


Place them onto a cookie sheet without touching and put them into the oven for 15-20 minutes. 


De-lish! They'll last a couple weeks in the fridge but I recommend putting them into the freezer unless you expect them to be eaten pretty quickly. I put mine in the freezer and put one into the fridge at night so it's thawed by morning and ready to pop into the microwave for a quick but filling breakfast!


Oh and I had some leftover dough and decided to make little crescent rolls. Cute, right? 


These went into the freezer too and were a nice little surprise one night when we wanted some garlic bread with our spaghetti! I'm considering making an entire batch of pizza dough just to make these yummy whole wheat crescent rolls. 

What's your usual go-to breakfast when you're in a hurry? 


Till next time,
Catherine



I've linked up to Make Your Own Mondays 9/2/13 with Nourishing Treasures!



I've linked up to Mostly Homemade Mondays Week 44 with Homegrown & Healthy!


3 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds good! And WAY better than just eating cereal everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's real quick to reheat and can be carried out the door with you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!