//Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Breaks Interstate Park


Only this awfully cold, dreary and wet day in Lynchburg, I thought I'd share with you a quick post about a weekend trip to Breaks Interstate Park. It's a place I had never heard of but we stayed there for a weekend when my husband had a weekend job nearby. 

To get there we had to drive through the most insanely curvy roads I have ever seen!! 


This Mapquest picture doesn't do it justice! These roads were ridiculous! My husband and I were both feeling car sick it was so bad! Haysi, Virginia, where the pin on the map is, is the area he had to work in but Breaks Interstate Park was nearby. All of the dark green area at the top-left is the park. Oh and not to mention in addition to the curvy roads, everything was either a hill or a mountain! It's right in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains and right by the Virginia/Kentucky border. 


The park was really pretty and nice. The photo above was taken from the restaurant in the park. They've got it set up like a combination resort/hotel but relaxed. Breaks Interstate Park is considered "The Grand Canyon of the South" because of the immense ravine between the mountains. It's pretty spectacular. 


Here we are in front of the "Grand Canyon of the South"...not that you can tell! 


The pictures don't do it justice but it was really a sight to see. Much greener than the real Grand Canyon! 

Where's your favorite little-known tourist attraction? Is it local or in another state?

Till next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!