//Google Analytics

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Strawberry Picking 2013

Our beautiful bounty!

This past weekend, my husband and I went strawberry picking at a farm about 40 minutes away. I had been wanting to do this since last year but we missed the season when it was cut short by too much rain. 

Saturday was really rainy off and on so we waited and went on Sunday. Most farms don't have Sunday pick-your-own hours but this one does! We went to Scott's Strawberry Farm in Moneta, Virginia and it was wonderful! We did have to endure a little drizzle but it wasn't too bad. 

I would definitely recommend going before the season is over! It is $10 for a 5 quart bucket, they're open 7 days a week, and they're very friendly and helpful! They're also going to have raspberries and blueberries in the summer. I'll definitely be back for those!


They have a bunch of fields that are huge! 


Rows and rows of ripe, delicious strawberries!


I even found a short and squat one that looked like a pumpkin! He was de-lish!


We also bought 3 plants too. I told you my wee little strawberry plant needed friends! Now he has some. He? She? Oh who knows. 


My other strawberry plant is the all-star variety and the new ones are Chandler Berries. They're lower and fuller and seem to produce more too. Scott's Strawberry Farm recommends Earliglow for the flavor so I'll be keeping an eye out for those! 


The little blossoms are so pretty!


Can one really have "too many" strawberries? 


Nah...I didn't think so either.

What's your favorite place to go strawberry picking? What do you do with your bounty when you get home?

Till next time,
Catherine

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! very nice blog the pictures are great and we are glad you enjoyed your experience here at Scott's Strawberry Farm and we're hoping you will return..
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We definitely will be back! I want to come back again this season for more strawberries if I can find enough things to make, but definitely when the raspberries and blackberries come in!

      Delete
  2. First off, Hello neighbor!! I live nearby on Smith Mountain Lake in Goodview! Now on to the strawberries, I love Scott's. I am heading that way this weekend and can't wait to have fresh strawberry jam! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and hello to you too! It's great to hear from a local! Enjoy the berries! I know I'd love to go back!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!