//Google Analytics

Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIY: Popsicle Stick Snowflakes


This is my first post on the DIY Christmas Series that a great group of blogging friends and I are doing! Be sure to check out all 30 days of great posts! My good friend Joyce over at The Skinny Pear is the mastermind behind this awesome series to get you ready for Christmas with all things DIY! 

Holiday_Badge
Here's a super easy and fun little project if your house is in need of some more Christmas decorations! Or, just winter in general. 

These are great because they're cheap and easy but also super cute! You can hang them up on the wall, the fronts of your kitchen cabinets or even use them as front door decoration!  The original picture for inspiration is here



You'll need: 
  • Popsicle sticks/Craft sticks - I got the medium sized ones but I saw several sizes
  • Hot glue
  • Paint color(s) of your choice
  • Paint brush (unless you're using spray paint)
  • Ribbon

Optional items: 
  • Glossy finish spray
  • Glitter
  • Decorative pom-poms or other little bits and pieces

Directions:


 Of the three snowflakes that I made, I started each one with this basic shape. You can make your snowflakes however you want, though!


To get this shape easily, I started with one triangle.


Then added two more sticks to the side, and so on.


Now have fun and make some cool snowflake designs! I did three different ones. 



This one is the same as the last one except the horizontal sticks on the outside are placed further along and not in the middle like the previous one. 


Now get your paint. 


And get to it!


After painting about half of the first snowflake I decided I did not like how blazing red the paint was. I added just a couple drops of black paint, mixed and got the dark burgundy on the left. It was better, but not quite it. I added in more red and got the pretty cranberry color on the right.  


The picture doesn't do it justice but it's a really pretty cranberry red and I thought that was just right for my little snowflakes. 


All you have to do now is let them dry and hang them up with some pretty ribbon! 




I really like how they turned out! I'll be keeping these bad boys up until the first day of Spring! 

Don't forget to check out the rest of our DIY Christmas Series! 

Holiday_Badge

Do you like crafts with such simple and cheap materials like craft sticks or cardboard tubes? What kind of things do you make out of them?

Till next time,
Catherine

6 comments:

  1. Love Love Love! So easy and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks great! I might try with blue/glitter and hang them from the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er... these LOOK great... not looks. Yikes!

      Delete
    2. Ooh that would be super cute!

      Delete
  3. Wow . That was unbelievably good.. . i am also into craft and order mine through http://woodpaintsticks.com/wood-craft
    and made stuff through it. I make some toys for little kids.They were so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I try to reply to all of the comments so be sure to check back if you asked a question. You can also leave your e-mail address in the comment and I'll let you know when I have replied!